Asignment Four is in two parts;
(i) Setting up a PC with communication applications and writing a user manual.
(ii) Creating and hosting content.
Part (i) Installing and Configuring Software
On to a pc you will install a browser (firefox).
You must install the browser and make two configuration changes to it. Try changing the home page and default font.
You will install an email client (thunderbird) and server.
You install a msn equivalent
What you have to submit
I need a two things for this part of the assignment.
A report saying what these pieces of software do and what information you need to get a computer on to the internet, sending emails and using an MSN equivalent.
you need to explain these terms and what you need to do with them.
browser, email client, email server, DNS server, SMTP server, POP3 server, Firewall (port 80 and 25 open PIM ports open) Username and password.
these notes could form the basis of your work.
A user manual to enable someone else to install the software you have installed and set it up. These tips should help
Part (ii) Hosting Content
- You will then host a webpage on Mr Astbury's webserver your web page needs to contain one of the web technologies you identified in the webpages assignment.
Include screen shots of the following;
The finished page in internet explorer.
The finished page on the internet make sure you can see the URL (address).
Show connecting to the server, so logging into the ftp site.
Show the files on the ftp server.
A description (commentary) of the process.
Talk about any problems you had and how you solved them (make one up if you have to).
Talk about what you learned and what you would do differently.
Things that could be different;
- Dreamweaver could be set up to manage the ftp process to the server. THe advantage of this is you only have to set it up once.
- Using dreamweaver this way means you are less likely to delete your site by accident.
- Investigate using PHP and MYSQL to put a forum on the site. THis would mean having MYSQL running on the server
- Using a more carefully thought out folder structure for your site.
- Checking that you have no capitals in your filenames.
- Checking how your finished webpage looks in more than one browser so looking at it in firefox as well.